Thursday, June 7, 2007

Decorating Ideas in All the Rooms of Your Home

How to find ideas for decorating a kitchen. Staying within the budget. Planning the projects and saving money on labor

When you own an old house, there is always something to do to it, and usually very little money to do it with. My old house needed a great deal of work, such as repairs, new plumbing and some redecorating. But with a budget, I had to decide where to start and picked the most needy project of all, the kitchen. I new it needed a change, but I didn't know where to begin to redecorate it, so I had to get some ideas, fast.

My first stop was the library. I found a number of books on interior design, and they also had a lot of magazines that gave me wonderful ideas for redecorating my kitchen. One of the best things they did was to show the before and after pictures so I could see that these ideas actually worked. These books and magazines had complete instructions so that even a novice like me could complete the jobs they illustrated. With the detailed instructions, it looked easy to do.

There were a lot of books and magazines, so I had a hard time finding which ideas I wanted to use. I had a couple of limitations that led me to eliminate one or two of the ideas. My main limitation was my budget, of course. I could not afford to spend too much money on the kitchen alone since I was planning on renovating my entire house over the course of time, so I had to budget room by room. And since I was planning on doing as much of the work as possible by myself, I had to make sure that the jobs I would take on were within my scope of expertise. One of the most expensive costs of renovating is labor, so I was trying to avoid hiring any contractors. I had a last consideration that perhaps many people do not think about: I wanted my kitchen to be extremely efficient as well as pretty to look at.

It is important to identify the most important features that you want in a room before you start to renovate. If you have a clear vision, it makes it easier to pick out plans and projects that work for you. I bought the materials and started working, evenings and weekends, and was finished in less than one month. Keeping my eye on the magazine ideas, I was able to recreate them in my own kitchen and create an entirely new room.

Believe me, if I could do it, so can you. If you too have an old kitchen that needs updating with new ideas, check out all of the decorating magazines and books (don't forget the Internet!) and you will come up with some great ideas for a new look.

No comments: